What Are The Standards?
It takes many components to build an organisation with a culture of child safety. The Standards should act as a starting point from which your organisation can take action.
The Child Safe Standards incorporate:
- Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
- A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
- A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
- Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
- Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
- Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
What Action Should I Take?
- Develop a working group or sub-committee to lead your organisations focus on developing a child safe culture
- Undertake a child safety review to identify:
- What you already have in place
- What you are doing well
- Where you need to improve
- Do you need anyone else to help?
- Understand your level of risk in relation to the services and activities you provide to your members
- Identify what further information, advice and support you need
- Develop and implement an action plan to ensure your organisation meets the Standards
- Consider the needs of your members (clubs & associations) and what assistance they may require
Your Child Welfare Officer
You should take steps to ensure that a Child Welfare Officer is appointed to look over matters concerning child safety and abuse. All members and staff are expected to discuss any concerns that they may have about the welfare of a child IMMEDIATELY with the nominated Child Welfare Officer.
The Child Welfare Officer will ensure that the concerns/incidents reported to them remain confidential and that the identity of the person reporting the concern/incident is not revealed.
The Club welfare officer will be required to report all the incidents noted by them to the appropriate authority at Basketball Victoria who will then ascertain whether or not the person/s involved in the incident play a role in the organisation and act accordingly.
All Child Safety Standards and further information is available via the VicSport website.