To put it simply, Basketball Victoria is supporting and driving the change to online individual registration for the following reasons:
- To create a better user experience for participants and administrators
- To provide extra resources to support and train, enabling a smooth transition to individual registration across the state
- To facilitate an equitable fee structure throughout Victoria
- To assist with an accurate, holistic database
- To comply with the Australian Privacy Act, Privacy Principles and Data Breach Protection Scheme.
We are the only Tier 1 sport / state body that does not have an accurate statewide database of participants. In addition to the lack of accurate data, there are currently two different fee structures across the state for metropolitan and regional participants / associations. This poses a number of strategic concerns and a below average user experience.
We are focused on providing the best experience for end users and administrators alike, providing ongoing benefits for participants, clubs and associations, as well as complying with the Australian Privacy Act, Privacy Principles and Data Protection legislation. Therefore, following feedback received from the basketball community and our obligations to deliver on our Strategic Plan (2017-2020), we aim to transition to online individual registration via a modern technology solution to our members and all basketball participants throughout 2020.
We aim to make this transition as smooth as possible with detailed training and support for our associations and their affiliated clubs via the best technology and user experience – the system is “Built by basketball, for basketball”.
Benefits: what will this project deliver?
- Single streamlined registration process – player, parent, referee, coach etc.
- One login for all roles.
- Ability to manage their own basketball experience(s):
- A better user experience
- Access to player and team stats
- Manage payments
- Manage interactions across all levels of the sport
- Reduction in current transaction/administration fee
- Reduction in administration burden – less manual tasks / a better user experience
- Reduction in cash handling and therefore risk
- Greater support from association and Basketball Victoria
- A better user experience for administrators
- Association to still have full control over registration/membership packages
- No seasonal (twice per year) payment(s) to BV for metro associations
- Ability to make evidence based strategic decisions with accurate data
- State-wide managed tribunal system
- Better compliance for insurance purposes
- Better appeal to commercial partners
- Proactive response to strategic planning, program delivery and membership servicing
- Complying with Data and Privacy Protection Legislation
- “Personal information should only be collected directly from the person it belongs to, unless it’s impossible or impracticable to do so” – Australian Privacy Principles
- Better opportunity to provide resources and support across:
- Infrastructure / Systems – plus additional Digital Support & Training for Associations
- Facility planning & growth
- Pathway Support
- Mandatory reporting requirements – eg Sport Australia, Sport and Recreation Victoria, local councils.