COVID-19 League Updates

Last Updated 27 March 2020


We hope you and your families are all well and coping with the current uncertainty and troublesome times we are going through.

We do understand the frustration we are all facing with our children not being able to play the sport they love and we also know that in times like these everyone needs to support one another.

The VJBL team has continued to plan in preparation to re-establish our great competition.

Whilst the VJBL season is temporarily suspended the team is working in the background fixturing and planning the remainder of the season to give our members some certainty once we get the opportunity to restart.

Today (March 27) we are releasing our VC fixtures up to Round 9 and VJL fixtures to Round 10. We will continue to prepare the remaining rounds.

At this stage, we are planning that the VJBL competition will restart at some point and for us to complete the 2019/20 season as soon as practicable. We will be recording all games played as they stand and all games missed will be recorded as a draw. All players registered will be recorded as played for all missed games.

We understand that the season will be shorter and not a full home and away season, however, it is our aim to get teams back on the court as soon as permitted and help support our associations to re-establish themselves.

John Hilton

VJBL Manager


Big V

We can confirm that the Big V season will not commence prior to the 15th May 2020, with a further decision to be made after Easter on April 14.

This date has been selected as it is four full weeks after the Easter Period and would allow time for clubs to prepare for a season in time if the COVID-19 situation had improved. However, with the above considerations, this is an optimistic date. We will continue to review the situation and will provide updates as available.  

The league is exploring alternative scheduling options for a potential Big V 2020 season. This include various shortened seasons options or alternative formats. We will provide as much notice as possible on any decisions made in relation to the league.  

Associations will have the opportunity to “opt-in” for any proposed 2020 season if they desire. If an Association chooses not to participate in the 2020 season, there would be no repercussions on their participation in the 2021 season. However, we ask for the opportunity to present the plan for 2020 prior to making that decision to ensure the league and clubs can be as viable as possible.  

What does this mean for clubs: 

  • In light of the airline decisions – Virgin stopping all international flights at end of this month and Qantas cancelling 90% of flights, we recommend imports be given the opportunity of making a decision to return home or not while this is still available. 
  • If your Association “opts-in” for the 2020 season and chooses to not have imports for any reasons, we are fully aware that this may impact on your on-court performances in 2020. The league and SRC Committee will factor this in when reviewing 2021 applications and division allocations a result of this.  

We thank you for your patience through this difficult and challenging time for the whole basketball community. 

If you need further information or advice please contact Jeff Downes at .  

NBL1 2020 Cancelled

Due to the current COVID-19 virus pandemic, unfortunately the 2020 NBL1 Season has been cancelled, this includes all three NBL1 conferences.

Basketball Victoria, in conjunction with the NBL, have notified clubs of the decision not to proceed with the 2020 season.

The decision follows the indefinite closure of indoor sports centres because of COVID-19. All three conferences, NBL1 South, NBL1 North and NBL1 Central, had already been postponed until May.

Basketball Victoria Chief Executive Officer Nick Honey said: “We are disappointed to cancel the NBL1 2020 season, however our current priority is to support associations and clubs get through this difficult period and plan for the relaunch of basketball in the Victorian community when appropriate.”

NBL Chief Operating Officer Andy Crook said: “Obviously this is unfortunate but it is the most appropriate decision under the current circumstances. The health and safety of players, staff and officials as well as the wider community comes first.

“We also want to allow the clubs to focus on re-establishing grassroots basketball as a matter of priority when the time is right.“I want to acknowledge the efforts of everyone involved in NBL1, in particular Basketball Victoria, Basketball Queensland, Basketball South Australia and all of our clubs and players.

“We will work with them as we continue to monitor the situation and work towards resuming basketball at a community level at the appropriate time.”

For any media requests or enquiries, please contact
Dean Anglin
Manager – NBL1 South