THE 2020 Victorian Under 20 State Team Coaching Staff along with Basketball Victoria would like to invite player tryout nominations from all Metropolitan and Country Associations.
The 2020 Australian Under-20 Championships will be held in ACT at the AIS from 5 – 9 February, 2020.
Please use the Cognito link emailed to Directors of Coaching to nominate players who you consider to be of a sufficient standard to represent the State at a national level. Please list them in ranked order with the first player listed ranked as No 1.
- Nomination by a club, does not mean the player will be automatically invited to attend. Players who are successful will be notified of their invitation to attend tryouts via email by Basketball Victoria.
- Directors of Coaching will also be notified (via email by Basketball Victoria) of players from their Association that have been invited to attend.
NOMINATIONS CLOSE ON WEDNESDAY 30 OCTOBER 2019
Trial dates are:
Men – Sunday 17 November Women – Saturday 16 November
Saturday 23 November Sunday 17 November
Sunday 24 November Sunday 24 November
Times and locations of the trials will be emailed to invited athletes.
Selection Criteria for Players
- Eligible players must not turn 20 years of age prior to 31 December 2020 (i.e. born in 2001/02).
- They must be participating in any competition being conducted by Basketball Australia, Basketball Victoria and/or Basketball Victoria Country.
- Players must be nominated by the Association with which they are registered.
- Ability of the player as displayed during: State Championship games, BV/BVC Specialist Camps, National Junior Development squads, State Team trials and other games as observed by the appointed coaches and selectors of the State Team.
- Athletic ability, size and skill levels that are likely to achieve success at a National Championship.
- Ability to fill a role required by the coaching staff to help the team achieve success.
- Ability to fit into the coach’s team’s concept based on the ability, compatibility, personality and character of the player.
Please note there will be two U20 Men’s and two U20 Women’s teams selected.
U20 Victoria Men and Women will selected first with five (5) emergencies being named for this team (these emergencies are not automatic or guaranteed selections for the “Victoria A” team.)
U20 Victoria A Men and U20 Victoria A Women will be selected after the main team and emergencies have been selected. Criteria for selection into the A team is:
- Development athletes; mostly bottom age; identified Victorian athletes that have not partaken in an AJC before and according to the BV HP team, will benefit greatly from the opportunity to play at an AJC; will have a healthy balance of Country and Metro athletes
The Head Coaches for our 2020 Under-20 Victorian teams are:
U20 Victoria Men Head Coach – Chris Anstey
U20 Victoria A Men Head Coach – Nathan Cooper-Brown
U20 Victoria Women Head Coach – Hannah Lowe
U20 Victoria A Women Head Coach – Zoe Carr